View Single Post
Old 04-20-2024, 02:14 PM   #63
Timboli
Fanatic
Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles & Samsung Tablet
Personally I think Kobo have jumped the gun, and I am hoping that poor uptake won't kill color e-ink ereaders off. I also don't think Amazon have missed an opportunity. It is certainly not a guarantee that enough color e-ink readers will be regularly sold.

We need to ask ourselves, as Kobo should have - Who are these new color e-ink readers going to attract?

I've wanted a color e-ink reader for years, gotten fed up waiting for them. But I haven't been game to try any of those who have been providing for the last 6 months or so.

I do however trust Amazon or Kobo enough to dip my toes in their water.

The only problem is, there is not a lot of benefit to a color e-ink reader if it is less than 10" at a minimum. Sure, it would be nice to see covers in color, even if somewhat washed out in many cases. What I really want color for is Magazines, Graphic Novels and Comics. To that end I bought myself a 10" Samsung Tablet years ago, and it has served me well the few times I have used it. A lot of money spent though, for minimal use ... though I have used it for web browsing and watching a few videos when on holiday.

So anyway, back to my question.

Maybe Kobo are hoping to get new users, that will finally consider an e-ink reader now that they have some semblance of color. Other than that, perhaps they are also hoping to attract some Kindle users to the Kobo ecosystem. Then I guess there will be a few folk, who will have to have it because color is the latest and greatest in e-ink tech.

What I'm not so sure is going to happen, is that many existing e-ink users are going to buy yet another e-ink device, just for the minimal benefit of color on a 6" or 7" device.

It would be a different story, if we were talking 10".
I'd buy one tomorrow, but now I still have to keep waiting.
And so I reckon do most of those that have visual issues with tablets.
A 7" color e-ink device is not a tablet replacement, not for what we want to use one for.

All that said, price difference with B&W is where success of eventual uptake will likely lie. So if color is phased in and B&W gradually phased out, then color will become the new norm ... just as happened with color TVs.

So I guess it is all about production costs and any possible subsidy, due to a mutual aim. And of course tech advances are likely to continue regardless anyway ... as they have thus far, despite e-ink being more niche now, due to tablets.
Timboli is offline   Reply With Quote