View Single Post
Old 04-19-2024, 11:57 AM   #63
Phil_C
Addict
Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350; Kobo Clara HD; Kobo Clara 2E; Kobo Clara BW
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
You can open the firmware downloads from pgaskin's site in 7-Zip. A couple of layers of 'open inside' and you'll eventually get to the files and the font files are buried in \usr\local\Trolltech\QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm\lib\fonts\

Some seem to be encrypted though and I do not know what'll happen if you try to sideload those
There is a way to use the encrypted fonts once you have extracted them. It is done via the kobopatch.yaml file when patching the reader. The instructions are somewhere in these forums, but I can't find them now.

For example, I wanted to use Gill Sans, which Kobo had eliminated on the Clara 2E. I put the encrypted fonts in a folder on my computer, in my case "D:\Kobo Encrypted Fonts". Then I added the instructions in the ADDITIONAL FILES section at the end of the kobopatch.yaml.

Code:
## ADDITIONAL FILES ##
# Uncomment the following to add additional files to the tgz (like init scripts or hyphen dicts)
# The files will be root-owned, and world readable, writable, and executable (0777)
files:
  D:\Kobo Encrypted Fonts/GillSans.ttf:  
  usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/GillSans.ttf
  D:\Kobo Encrypted Fonts/GillSans-Bold.ttf:  
  usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/GillSans-Bold.ttf
  D:\Kobo Encrypted Fonts/GillSans-BoldItalic.ttf:  
  usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/GillSans-BoldItalic.ttf
  D:\Kobo Encrypted Fonts/GillSans-Italic.ttf: 
  usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/GillSans-Italic.ttf
AFAIK, this needs to be done each time you patch. I hope I'm not forgetting something. It does work, because I can use Gill Sans on my Clara 2E.
Phil_C is offline   Reply With Quote