View Single Post
Old 04-12-2024, 10:59 AM   #35
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Okay, after some more experimenting, I now have a way to double the insertion point text cursor width from the default 1 pixel wide to 2 pixels wide which helps to make it easier to detect. This should work in all FindReplace and all QLineEdits too.

Remember the insertion point cursor has to fit between adjacent characters. So the wider it gets the worse it looks when fonts with kerning and tight letter spacing are employed. So going more than 2 pixels is not recommended.

It is reasonably painless and seems to work requiring only a few small changes in CodeViewEditor.cpp and main.cpp.

So I am thinking of creating a Sigil Main UI Preference Appearance to enable or disable it. Changing this setting would require a Sigil restart since it involves changing the main application style on the fly.

So something along the lines of:

Code:
    [] Make text cursor insertion point more visible
I would like to know if our users would find this useful or not before fighting with the Sigil Preferences again (or begging DiapDealer to do it!).

I have attached two screen shots. Since they are static, no blinking involved. But look at the end of the xhtml comment at the line in yellow to compare the text cursors before and after.

Note: these screencaps appear much larger on the screen when I open them here on Mobileread than the actual on my display so both appear reasonably easy to see but that is not quite how it seems to me. Not sure how to show the difference otherwise.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CodeView with Default Text Cursor.png
Views:	42
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	207526   Click image for larger version

Name:	CodeView with Wider Cursor.png
Views:	40
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	207527  

Last edited by KevinH; 04-12-2024 at 11:52 AM.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote