View Single Post
Old 03-31-2024, 01:07 AM   #1
northirid
northirid began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10th Gen (PW4)
Jailbroken PW4 updated to 5.16.7. JB appears still present, can't downgrade

Hi all,

I have a PW4 that was running 5.16.5 yesterday. When I got it ages ago, I initially jailbroke it, but never put it in airplane mode.

I was prompted yesterday to look into KOReader, so was getting up to speed with how to do things again.
The jailbreak was still present and working ok, though ;log mrpi was nonfunctional.

By following these steps, I was able to downgrade from 5.16.5 to 5.16.2.1 and reactivate MRPI and KUAL, and get KOReader up and running.

Great, I thought!

This morning, I've gone to look at KOReader properly - it doesn't run. I forgot to put airplane mode back on, and the Kindle updated overnight to 5.16.7.

Ugh. OK, that's fine, you got the process working yesterday.

Put the emergency scripts on the Kindle, rebooted, Kindle boot screen shows "**** SQUASH JB ****" so it appears something is still there. reconnect to PC once it boots, scripts are gone. Hey, that seems positive. OK, check ;log mrpi ... nothing. D'oh.

Now, if I put any .bin file in the Kindle root directory, as soon as I disconnect from the PC, the Kindle flashes that an invalid update file has been placed on there.

Is anyone aware of a working downgrade method from 5.16.7 currently, on what appears to still be a somewhat jailbroken PW4?
northirid is offline   Reply With Quote