View Single Post
Old 02-01-2024, 07:05 PM   #19
jackm8
Zealot
jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaston View Post
Hi,
Having read another thread here about this, the conclusion seems to be a 10.3" screen is needed to read Manga at the full size and without pillarboxing. So, assuming this is correct and because my experience reading Manga on my Forma could be better, I think either the Scribe or Elipsa 2E are contenders.

Have any of you experience with one or both for Manga please? Thoughts, criticisms, praise? Any info beyond what seems to be in just about every online review would be welcome
I was deciding between the two a few months back and went with Scribe. Comics and manga were of no concern for me, but I did try them since. As far as I know Elipsa 2e has flawless cbz and cbr support, so that should be a massive plus for it. In fact, if you're planning on reading a lot of fan translations, then that would be my recommendation, with one caveat, that I'll get to at the end. Sideloaded comics on Kindle are a massive pain. To go from cbz to file that can be read on Kindle in original quality (actually it's slightly lower quality owing to Amazon's compressions), I need to first unpack all the images, then using Kindle Create application create .KPF file via its Comics feature (Print repica works as well, with slightly different results and process). Then that .KPF file needs to be converted into .KFX via .KFX Output Plugin (hosted on this site, also available as Calibre plugin). Then I connect device to PC and transfer that file to Kindle that way. Once files are on Kindle things work surprisingly well. Screen is sharp, page turns are fast, pinch zoom in fast and responsive, even Guided view is working, if you take time and set it up while converting file in Kindle Create. There are no crop options, though, or having ability to display two pages at the same time. Also, plenty of things can go wrong during the process. Kindle Create can crash while trying to create .KPF files. KFX Output Plugin requires Kindle Preview application, and it can crash trying to create .KFX files. Disk space can be an issue for Kindle Create and very large files also. I had to cut a certain 1gb PDF into four parts before it ran though.

Faster way is to convert them to pdf and send them that way via Send to Kindle website, but that way you lose image quality and are restricted to 200mb per file, which is pretty limited as I learned by the sizes of comics today. Send to Kindle website automatically converts PDF to KFX and sends it to your device. You can also just copy that pdf directly to the Kindle via usb cable, but Kindle will then use it's PDF rendering program to display comics, and it's very flawed, probably intentionally. Images are never display in full screen. So .KFX format is practically a must. Read last post regarding that: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=357168

All that said, Scribe has 300p 1860x2480 sceen, and it's got (flimsy) metallic back instead of recycled plastic. I don't know how that recycled plastic feels, but just that it's recycled was enough for me. I guess I've a minor phobia against plastic, but it was as big factor in deciding against Elipsa 2E, as screen resolution.

[edit]
I just fooled around with Kindle Create a bit more. Kindle Create has a limit of 650mb. It's also possible that facing pages are working as well. There are options in Kindle Create to set them up.

[edit2]
Kindle Create actually does not have a 650mb limit. I have no idea how large the limit is, but when file size exceeds 650mb, you just get the message below in screenshot, but file is still created and works without problems when converted into .kfx.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	31.png
Views:	57
Size:	5.6 KB
ID:	206157  

Last edited by jackm8; 02-25-2024 at 05:10 PM.
jackm8 is offline   Reply With Quote