View Single Post
Old 01-13-2024, 04:44 AM   #77
hildea
Wizard
hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch Lux (had Onyx Boox Poke 3 and BeBook Neo earlier)
For some reason writing about my reading slump got me out of it, so now I'm in the middle of the latest Murderbot (after rereading Network Effect to remind me of what happened just before that book starts. It's maybe not up with the best of the series, but it's good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
This got me to thinking about the particular joy I had a few years ago when I discovered the "genre" of reading the letters of great writers and others.
I have a book of letters -- some from famous people, others just interesting in themselves. I remember there was one from Jane Austen to the Prince Regent (I think?) which was deliciously snarky.

Quote:
What new genres have you discovered later on in your reading life?
Not discovered, but rediscovered: Romance.
I read a lot of romance as a teenager and in my early twenties. But much of the romance I read in 1980s-1990s is, when seen in hindsight, pretty horrible. A lot of it, including books I loved then, is rapey and slutshaming. (Those written by Madeleine Brent aka Peter O'Donnell (author of Modesty Blaise) are quite good in that regard, though.) Then I stopped reading the genre, until in 2013 when I saw a review of one of Courtney Milan's books, describing it as feminist romance. I checked it out, and she didn't disappoint -- she's now one of my favourite authors. There's a lot of really good romance written now, by and about people of all genders.
hildea is offline   Reply With Quote