View Single Post
Old 12-12-2023, 12:58 AM   #1
azuravian
Enthusiast
azuravian can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.azuravian can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.azuravian can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.azuravian can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.azuravian can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.azuravian can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.azuravian can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.azuravian can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.azuravian can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.azuravian can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.azuravian can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Lightbulb [GUI Plugin] GR Author Notes

Edit 01/13/24:
  • Added option to use Google Translate to translate the author bio into the language of your choice. Can be configured in the plugin config.
  • Cleaned up code

Edit 12/18/23:
  • Added translation for Spanish (courtesy of @dunhill)
  • Added option to skip authors who already have a GR Author Notes bio as their note
  • Cleaned up code

Edit: Updated plugin to manually load the dependencies directly from the zip file without using pip.

With the notes feature in Calibre 7, I thought of a new plugin that I knew I would want, so I wrote it and am sharing it here.

This plugin pulls author information from GoodReads and writes it to the author note.

Everything is organized in a table (see example below) and the background color, border color, and text color can be changed in the plugin configuration. It defaults to the colors shown in the example image.

Currently, it uses a Goodreads function that is also used by Calibre to "guess/search" the author page. This is almost always correct, but if you have an author where a more well-known author has the same name as the author of your book. For example, if you have books by South African novelist Peter Abrahams, Goodreads will return American mystery writer Peter Abrahams instead.

If the author isn't found or if the author exists in Goodreads, but has no biography information, they will be skipped.

Please let me know if you find this useful or have any suggestions.

Example:
Click image for larger version

Name:	KZKudXc.png
Views:	204
Size:	187.6 KB
ID:	205160

Interface:

Name:	V7ffB8W.png
Views:	168
Size:	12.4 KB
ID:	205162

Configuration:

Name:	t1EoV9l.png
Views:	175
Size:	7.9 KB
ID:	205161
Attached Files
File Type: zip GR Author Notes.zip (3.13 MB, 256 views)

Last edited by azuravian; 01-13-2024 at 12:43 AM.
azuravian is offline   Reply With Quote