View Single Post
Old 11-18-2021, 11:46 AM   #55
Leseratte_10
Groupie
Leseratte_10 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leseratte_10 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leseratte_10 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leseratte_10 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leseratte_10 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leseratte_10 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leseratte_10 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leseratte_10 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leseratte_10 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leseratte_10 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leseratte_10 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB Era, PB InkPad 3 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Thinking about this raises the question of what ADE version does the plugin emulate?

I have ADE for Windows version 2.0.1 installed on my PC running Windows 11 and it identifies itself as clientVersion 2.0.1.78765, softwareVersion 9.3.58046, and clientOS of "Windows Vista". (Looking at the code it has a fixed set of possible Windows versions that it can report with Vista being the newest possible.)

I also have an installer file for ADE version 3.0. It will apparently will identify itself as clientVersion 3.0.1, softwareVersion 10.0.85385, and clientOS going up to "Windows 8.1".

The plugin appears to identify itself to Adobe as clientVersion "Desktop" with softwareVersion 10.0.4, and clientOS of "Windows 10". I am curious to know what ADE version this is intended to correspond to.
That's a good question. That stuff is taken almost 1:1 from libgourou, and I have to admit I haven't looked into this too much.

Looking at the source code, "clientVersion" is hardcoded to the device's "deviceClass", which is hardcoded to "Desktop". softwareVersion is hardcoded to 10.0.4 which is described as "hobbes version" and is apparently the RMSDK version.

That would make sense, ADE 2.0.1 using RMSDK9 and ADE 3.0 using RMSDK10. It would also mean, with the plugin using 10.0.4 (maybe that's from an old eReader) that Adobe could deliver books encrypted with the new DRM to this plugin. I don't think switching this around with an existing activation is a good idea, but maybe I'll try adding a setting that can be set during authorization to either emulate RMSDK9/ADE2.0.1 or RMSDK10/ADE3.0.

As for the client OS, that's currently just set to "platform.system() + " " + platform.release()". Meaning, "Windows 10" or "Windows 11" depending on the Windows version, or "Linux 5.xx.x-xx-generic" for Linux. That's probably a bad idea as a value of "Linux" for the OS probably immediately tells Adobe that there's something fishy.

I will play around with that a bit, make a couple more dummy accounts, and add an ADE2.0/ADE3.0 switch during authorization. And I'll ditch that code that sends the actual OS and just always have it use "Windows Vista" for ADE2.0 and "Windows 8.1" for ADE3.0.
Leseratte_10 is offline   Reply With Quote