View Single Post
Old 02-08-2021, 10:21 AM   #8
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
I've been doing a lot of back-and-forth comparisons between the Libra I set aside for myself (the other is a gift) and my old 2nd gen Nook Glowlight. What I hoped for with the Libra is a noticeable improvement in contrast and backlight quality over my old device. Unfortunately, while the contrast is indeed slightly better, the backlight quality is not much improved. My Libra, at lower backlight light levels, has a bright top right (or bottom left--depending on orientation) corner. The gradient from more yellow to more blue backlight is also noticeable from the button edge to the opposite edge. Not as much as that bright corner is distracting.

The other thing I don't like is that my old Nook can change line spacing between any epubs I've used, and the Kobo Libra cannot--there's something in the formatting of those older conversions that it doesn't like. I have to convert those files to MOBI and then back to epub before the libra is able to change line spacing. A minor thing is that my favorite reading font with the Nook: Avenir Next, is also present in Kobo Libra H2O. But... for some odd reason it cannot do italic Avenir Next, so all the italic text is converted to distracting bold version of Avenir Next in the Libra. The Nook uses italic Avenir Next where applicable.

I'm considering returning my Kobo Libra H2O for its uneven backlight and these other oddities and waiting another couple years for a more noticeable upgrade. I really hope there will be some breakthrough in backlight technology to make it truly better and more even.

P.S.: I did see some comparative youtube reviews of Libra vs. Amazon Oasis, and they seemed to favor the Oasis backlight quality. Well I had gone through a lot of Amazon reviews of the Oasis, and there were plenty of complaints about backlight quality and also about poor battery life.
About line spacing there is a couple of patch, if You want to patch Your Kobo, that can allow You to change it. You can find them in this forum, patches are firmware specific. See this for last firmware: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=334722

And about font there are some tricks to use to make Kobo correctly handle them. The name of the files must be: xxx-Regular.ttf, xxx-Italic.ttf, xxx.Bold.ttf, and xxx.BoldItalic.ttf. And then See this post from Jackie_W:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...81&postcount=9

Check also the family name of the font (in PS Name) to ensure that it is the same for all four fonts.
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote