View Single Post
Old 02-06-2021, 08:03 PM   #2
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
Good day everyone,

1. I was surprised to find that my Kobo (from Walmart) comes with "Walmart e-Books by Rakuten Kobo" advertised by default on the lockscreen and as a default login option. There's an option to log in with a Kobo account too, but... I haven't been able to sign up yet. It keeps giving errors that I already have an account no matter which of my e-mails I try--I do not yet have an account. Then finally trying to reset a password also gives an error. I will try again later. Only logged in with my Google account for now.

What is the "best" way to sign in / which bookstore to link? Should I make separate accounts for Walmart eBooks and Kobo Bookstore and log in with both? Are they separate stores, so I can link both?
You should be able to do this from the device, but as you're having issues try creating an account on a computer/tablet/smart phone and then logging in to it on the Kobo Libra. Just go to kobo.com and create an account there, then on the Libra make sure you're picking the sign in with Rakuten option.

Quote:
2. Can I stop my reader from showing "Walmart eBooks by Rakuten Kobo" in huge font on the lockscreen when not reading a book? My Nooks had cool screensaver options like author engravings or tree branches. It was a pleasant aesthetic option.

I bought my 2 devices from Walmart for easy exchange if anything was wrong, but now I'm starting to wonder if I should have ordered from Rakuten directly to avoid the Walmart branding.
You can actually make a screensaver folder in the .kobo directory and load any image(s) you want in there. You might need to change the affiliate though, to do this just go to the .kobo directory find the affiliate.conf open it with text edit or word pad and change "walmart" to " kobo" without the quotes.

Quote:
3. I just realized there's no "home" button, which is disorienting.
None of the current line of Kobo's have a physical home button, the Libra and Forma have page turn buttons, and a power button, all other controls are done using the touch screen.

You'll adjust fairly quickly just give it some time.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote