View Single Post
Old 02-06-2021, 04:05 PM   #1
Quartz
Quartz began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra H20
[USA] My new Kobo Libra H2Os from Walmart - questions

Good day everyone,

I apologize for being uninformed--I'm very new to the Kobo ecosystem. My prior e-readers were Nook Glowlights and a Sony reader.

I've ordered and received 2 Kobo Libra H2Os in white color--one for myself and one a gift for a family member. Setting both up today.

I have read about lack of screen uniformity from device to device and expected to see some difference in backlight. There's indeed a difference between the two, but it's difficult to qualify, because there's a gradient from the edge with the buttons to the opposite end. Still, one of the readers has slightly less bright and a hint more blue-purple backlight vs. the other at equal settings. Uniformity is also very slightly worse on that one along the button side. Overall both are good--better than my previous 6" Nook Glowlights.

I have a couple of questions about set-ups:

1. I was surprised to find that my Kobo (from Walmart) comes with "Walmart e-Books by Rakuten Kobo" advertised by default on the lockscreen and as a default login option. There's an option to log in with a Kobo account too, but... I haven't been able to sign up yet. It keeps giving errors that I already have an account no matter which of my e-mails I try--I do not yet have an account. Then finally trying to reset a password also gives an error. I will try again later. Only logged in with my Google account for now.

What is the "best" way to sign in / which bookstore to link? Should I make separate accounts for Walmart eBooks and Kobo Bookstore and log in with both? Are they separate stores, so I can link both?

2. Can I stop my reader from showing "Walmart eBooks by Rakuten Kobo" in huge font on the lockscreen when not reading a book? My Nooks had cool screensaver options like author engravings or tree branches. It was a pleasant aesthetic option.

I bought my 2 devices from Walmart for easy exchange if anything was wrong, but now I'm starting to wonder if I should have ordered from Rakuten directly to avoid the Walmart branding.

3. I just realized there's no "home" button, which is disorienting.
Quartz is offline   Reply With Quote